NOTICE: Clarke County has moved its tax due date from June 5 to June 30, 2020, because of the coronavirus pandemic and related shutdowns. The first half of 2020 real estate and personal property taxes are now due by Tuesday, June 30. Notices regarding the new deadline are included in tax bills, which should be in the mail to taxpayers by mid-May. Read details here. Individuals are strongly encouraged to pay online, or mail tax payments to Clarke County Treasurer, P.O. Box 537, Berryville, VA 22611. Payments are accepted at the county drive-thru kiosk located on the west side of the government center located at 101 Chalmers Ct. in Berryville. As a precautionary measure because of the coronavirus, taxpayers are discouraged from paying bills with cash.
Commissioner of the Revenue assesses real, individual, and business personal property taxes; prorates personal property taxes on motor vehicles and trailers; issues county business licenses; administers special taxes on lodging; and administers the county’s real estate tax relief program. The Commissioner of Revenue assesses taxable values, and the Treasurer’s Office collects payments. The Commissioner is an elected position.
Find more tax-related information using the links at left. If using a smartphone, jump to subpage.
The Commissioner of the Revenue office is in the Berryville-Clarke County Government Center (first floor) at 101 Chalmers Ct., in Berryville, Va.
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
Commissioner of the Revenue
(540) 955-5179 (fax)
2020 Tax Rates
- Real Estate: $0.615 per $100 value
- Personal Property: $4.496 per $100 value
- Personal Property of qualified Fire & Rescue vehicles: $2.248 per $100 value
- Business Equipment: $4.496 per $100 value
- Machinery & Tools: $1.25 per $100 value
- Farm Equipment: $4.496 per $100 value (Local factor equals 25 percent.)
- Mobile Homes: $0.615 per $100 value
- Business License fee is $30 (Renewals due by Jan. 31 each year; new businesses must obtain licenses within 30 days of opening.)
- Transient Occupancy Tax: 2 percent of net rentals
- Jan. 15: Virginia Estimated Income Tax returns due
- Jan. 31: Business License renewal forms due
- Feb. 15: Business or Farm Personal Property Return forms due; Machinery & Tools property forms due; Vehicle High Mileage forms due
- April 15: Federal Income Tax returns due
- May 1: Tax Relief for Elderly and/or Disabled Application forms due; Virginia Income Tax returns due; Virginia Estimated Income Tax returns due (voucher 1)
- June 5: County Real Estate and Personal Property Tax due (first half).
- June 15: Virginia Estimated Income Tax returns due (voucher 2)
- Sept. 15: Virginia Estimated Income Tax returns due (voucher 3)
- Dec. 1: Land Use Application forms due
- Dec. 5: County Real Estate & Personal Property Tax due (second half)