News List

Historic Preservation Commission Announces 2022 Award Recipients

Post Date:05/11/2022 9:01 AM

BERRYVILLE, VA (May 11, 2022) The Clarke County Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) has selected four recipients of its 23rd annual Historic Preservation Awards. These awards are presented each May — National Preservation Month — and honor organizations and individuals who have made distinctive efforts to preserve and maintain the historic structures and places that are essential to defining Clarke County’s unique cultural identity. Awards will be presented during a luncheon on May 18 to the following honorees.

Kim Tierney and Rod Baird 
“Certificate of Merit” for the Restoration of Bloomfield

Bloomfield, one of the most historic houses in Clarke County, was uninhabitable when Kim Tierney and Rod Baird purchased it in 2018. They lovingly and painstakingly restored the house over the past four years, doing most of the work themselves — and while living in Texas for the first two and a half years. Kim and Rod moved into Bloomfield two years ago and continued the painstaking work, documenting its rehabilitation on social media, and engaging a huge following of people eager to see the transformation and learn from the couple’s experience. They have thousands of followers on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok. Bloomfield has certainly come a long way since Jacob Larue built it in 1775. Thanks to their meticulous work, Kim and Rod have brought the magnificent stone house back to its former glory thereby ensuring its preservation for decades to come. The Historic Preservation Commission recognizes Kim Tierney and Rod Baird for their beautiful restoration of Bloomfield.

Clermont Foundation
“Certificate of Merit” for the Restoration of the Clermont Slave Quarters

The Clermont Foundation — established in 2004 after the late Elizabeth Rust Williams bequeathed her farm to the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) — manages the 360-acres property on behalf of DHR and runs the farm’s day-to-day operations. The slave dwelling dates to the 19th century when Dawson McCormick owned Clermont, and it is one of three slave dwellings known to have existed on the farm in 1860. It is the only one that survives today. Researchers used dendrochronology to determine the log structure was constructed around 1823. It was used for storage in the 20th century and was in disrepair when the property passed to the DHR. The Foundation received a Hurricane Sandy Disaster Relief Grant in 2015 as well as in-kind contributions from HistoriCorps and the Clermont Foundation. HistoriCorps, a national non-profit organization that repairs historic buildings and promotes work in the preservation trades, was the primary contractor and meticulously completed the work on the slave dwelling. This building is significant to telling the history of Clarke County as it is one of a very few surviving log duplex slave quarters. Historic Preservation Commission members are grateful to the Clermont Foundation for its work to preserve this important historic resource.

Michael McKenney 
“Certificate of Merit” for the Rehabilitation and Preservation of River House

In 2007, Michael McKenney purchased River House, a rambling stone dwelling on the west bank of the Shenandoah River, and in 2018 he began a major rehabilitation of the circa 1820 property. The River House had not been updated in many years, and some past renovations adversely affected the structural integrity of the house, in particular the drainage around its foundation. Michael fixed the drainage, and repaired the stone walls and foundation. Then, using historic photos to replicate the design, he meticulously reconstructed the porches that previous owners had removed. Additionally, he used State Rehabilitation Tax Credits and created a blog that documented the project so others can learn from his work. For his dedication to detail and his preservation of a 200-year-old home, the Historic Preservation Commission honors Michael McKenney for the rehabilitation of River House.

Sandy Lerner
“Certificate of Merit” for the Rehabilitation and Reuse of Locke’s Mill

When Sandy Lerner purchased the colonial-era Locke’s Mill in 2016, it had already been painstakingly restored by its previous owners, Jon and Carol Joyce. In fact, in 2014 the HPC recognized Jon and Carol for their extensive restoration of the mill. Locke’s Mill is one of two functioning grist mills in Clarke County, and Sandy Lerner was determined to continuing operating the mill as the business for which it was originally built. Her farm manager Chris Damewood, miller Roger Steyaert, and craftsman Billy Holsinger each made significant contributions to the successful restoration of Locke’s Mill and, in 2017, Sandy had the mill certified “USDA organic.” Locke’s Mill grinds and sells organic-certified, non-GMO grains on site, online, and to local distilleries. The circa 1876 mill is on the National Register of Historic Places, has its own website with historical information, and signage at the mill outlines its history. Historic Preservation Commission members recognize Sandy Lerner and her continued rehabilitation and use of Locke’s Mill.

“Every year, it is truly an honor to recognize the hard work that owners of historic properties put into restoring and preserving their homes and buildings,” said Betsy Arnett, chair of the Historic Preservation Commission. “Restoring a historic property is a definitely labor of love. These awards are a small way of letting people know that the community has noticed and appreciates their efforts to retain Clarke County’s historic character.”

For more information about the Clarke County Historic Preservation Commission, its annual awards, and Clarke County history, contact architectural historian Maral Kalbian at (540) 955-1231, maral@mkalbian.com, or Clarke County Senior Planner & Zoning Administrator Jeremy Camp at (540) 955-5131, jcamp@clarkecounty.gov

Return to full list >>