James Royston, II, Building Official
101 Chalmers Ct., Suite B
Berryville, VA 22611
Phone: (540) 955-5112
Fax: (540) 955-5170
Angie Cather, Office Manager / Permit Technician
Hours of Operation - Monday - Friday - 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Closed from 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.)
NOTE: PERMITS & APPLICATIONS WILL BE ISSUED AND ACCEPTED FROM 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM (CLOSED FROM 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM)
*** PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST TEN (10) BUSINESS DAYS FOR ALL PLANS REVIEW AND PERMIT PROCESSING. ***
IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CONTACT OUR OFFICE AHEAD OF TIME FOR PERMITS AND OTHER INFORMATION. THANK YOU.
The purpose of the Clarke County Building Department is to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the county in relationship to the construction, use and design of buildings and structures through the enforcement of statewide building codes during design and construction.
For all work requiring permits within Clarke County, including the Towns, the department ensures the proper review/approval of design and construction plans, inspections during the construction phase, and final approval of projects for occupancy or use.
The department is responsible for enforcing the 2012 Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
Applications, Forms, and General Information
- Building Permit Application (revised 4/29/2014)
- Electric Permit Application (revised 4/29/2014)
- Gas and Mechanical Permit Application (revised 4/29/2014)
- Plumbing Permit Application (revised 4/29/2014)
- Shrink Swell Soils Policy
- Soils Report Letter of Waiver
- Typical Residential Deck Detail (NOTE: FOR ONE STORY ATTACHED DECK W/O ROOF)
- Structural Cut Sheet
- Asbestos Release Form (NOTE: REQUIRED FOR ALL RENOVATIONS & DEMOLITIONS)
- What You Should Know Before You Hire A Contractor
Call (540) 955-5112. If no one is available, you may leave the inspection request on voice mail. Please provide the following information:
- Permit number
- Property owner’s name
- Job site address
- Type of inspection
- Date you would like to have the inspection
- Daytime phone #
NOTE: A MINIMUM 24-HOUR NOTICE IS REQUIRED FOR INSPECTION REQUESTS.