Gary Pope, Building Official
101 Chalmers Ct., Suite B
Berryville, VA 22611
Phone: (540) 955-5112
Fax: (540) 955-5170
Holly DeHaven, Office Manager / Permit Technician
Hours of Operation - Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Closed from 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.)
NOTE: PERMITS & APPLICATIONS WILL BE ISSUED AND ACCEPTED FROM 8:30 AM - 4:15 PM (CLOSED FROM 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM)
*** PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST TEN (10) BUSINESS DAYS FOR ALL PLANS REVIEW AND PERMIT PROCESSING. ***
IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CONTACT OUR OFFICE AHEAD OF TIME FOR PERMITS AND OTHER INFORMATION. THANK YOU.
The purpose of the Clarke County Building Department is to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the county in relationship to the construction, use and design of buildings and structures through the enforcement of statewide building codes during design and construction.
For all work requiring permits within Clarke County, including the Towns, the department ensures the proper review/approval of design and construction plans, inspections during the construction phase, and final approval of projects for occupancy or use.
The department is responsible for enforcing the 2009 Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (effective March 1, 2011), and the following supplements to this, which include:
- 2009 International Building Code
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2009 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2009 International Mechanical Code
- 2009 International Plumbing Code
- 2009 International Residential Code
- 2008 NFPA 70
Applications, Forms, and General Information
- Building Permit Application (revised 4/9/2013)
- Electric Permit Application (revised 4/9/2013)
- Gas and Mechanical Permit Application (revised 4/9/2013)
- Plumbing Permit Application (revised 4/9/2013)
- Shrink Swell Soils Policy
- Soils Report Letter of Waiver
- Typical Residential Deck Detail (NOTE: FOR ONE STORY ATTACHED DECK W/O ROOF)
- Structural Cut Sheet
- Asbestos Release Form (NOTE: REQUIRED FOR ALL RENOVATIONS & DEMOLITIONS)
- What You Should Know Before You Hire A Contractor
Permits Are Required When:
Application for a permit shall be made to the building official and a permit shall be obtained prior to the commencement of any of the following activities, except that applications for emergency construction, alterations or equipment replacement shall be submitted by the end of the first working day that follows the day such work commences. In addition, the building official may authorize work to commence pending the receipt of an application or the issuance of a permit.
1. Construction or demolition of a building or structure. Installations or alterations involving (i) the removal or addition of any wall, partition or portion thereof, (ii) any structural component, (iii) the repair or replacement of any required component of a fire or smoke rated assembly, (iv) the alteration of any required means of egress system, (v) water supply and distribution system, sanitary drainage system or vent system, (vi) electric wiring, (vii) fire protection system, mechanical systems, or fuel supply systems, or (viii) any equipment regulated by the USBC.
2. For change of occupancy, application for a permit shall be made when a new certificate of occupancy is required under Section 103.3.
(103.3 Change of Occupancy. No change of occupancy shall be made in any structure when the current USBC requires a greater degree of accessibility, structural strength, fire protection, means of egress, ventilation or sanitation. When such a greater degree is required, the owner or the owner’s agent shall make a written application to the local building department for a new certificate of occupancy and shall obtain the new certificate of occupancy prior to the new use of the structure. When impractical to achieve compliance with this code for the new occupancy classification, the building official shall consider modifications upon application and as provided for in Section 106.3
Exception: This section shall not be construed to permit noncompliance with any applicable flood load or flood-resistant construction requirements of this code.)
3. Movement of a lot line that increases the hazard to or decreases the level of safety of an existing building or structure in comparison to the building code under which such building or structure was constructed.
4. Removal or disturbing of any asbestos containing materials during the construction or demolition of a building or structure, including additions.
- Excerpts from the 2009 VIRGINIA CONSTRUCTION CODE (Part I of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code) – Effective March 1, 2011
Call (540) 955-5112. If no one is available, you may leave the inspection request on voice mail. Please provide the following information:
- Permit number
- Property owner’s name
- Job site address
- Type of inspection
- Daytime phone #
NOTE: A MINIMUM 24-HOUR NOTICE IS REQUIRED FOR INSPECTION REQUESTS.
Monthly Building Permit Reports
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending January 31, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending February 28, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending March 31, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending April 30, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending May 31, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending June 30, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending July 31, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending August 31, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending September 30, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending October 31, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending November 30, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending December 31, 2013
- Building Permit Report for Month Ending January 31, 2014
The downloadable documents are presented in Adobe Acrobat Format (pdf). If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader please click on the link to obtain a free one.